Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vintage dresses - is there anything they can't do?

Hello once again.
Well, you will all no doubt be relieved to hear that a solution was found to the beanet conundrum. And for the sense of well-being that is now washing over you, you have vintage dresses to thank.
Aah vintage dresses, how fabulous you are. Your fabric is completely bereft of lycra, you are instead made of lace or lurex or polyester. Your colours, patterns, textures and prints are worlds away from the safety and sameness of 'noughties' fabric.You have a uniqueness that is beyond compare, you add a sense of class or drama or even humour to my nights out. When I head out wearing a floor-skimming maxi-dress, (preferably with some crazy sleeves, be they sheer and floaty, cute and puffy or, well, wizardy), I feel like the Queen of glam - who cares if others think I'm off to a fancy dess party?!)
I could continue my reverie for hours, but let's get specific, coz I know you're dying to know how my heroic dress saved the day.
As you know from my recent post, I love my new hat but upon trying it on with several outfits, it just didn't look quite right. But I thought I'd give it another try. A couple of weeks ago, I was heading down to Freo to see a friend's band on a Friday night. It was cold, and I knew it would be even more so in the 'mantle. Perfect weather for my new beanet. But what to wear it with? Looking through my wardrobe, an old fave caught my eye. A black 1970s dress with 3/4 sleeves that flares nicely to just below the knees. It has this awesome print on it, of a man and lady sitting under a tree, in hues of white and brown and tan and mustard yellow. "OOH, this looks promising!" I thought. "These colours will look tops with the brown hat!" And wouldn't you know it, my prediction was correct! YAY! I then added faded flared jeans and an off-white skivvy underneath for warmth. Beautiful brown closed-toe wedges, a skinny brown belt, a tan clutch and a pointlessly thin brown scarf completed the look. Sounds like too much doesn't it? Well I have always been opposed to Coco Chanel's (?) sentiment that a lady should remove one accessory before leaving the house. I say the more the merrier. And if all those layers made me look a tad bag-ladyesque, well, dammit, that night I was the most fabulously chic bag-lady in town! :)

1 comment:

  1. Can you upload a photo of your new outfit, beanette included..... I have a friend who is so just like you with her choice of fashion... her house is old vintage looking too which is great.

    ReplyDelete