Monday, May 11, 2009

"That's way off the mark, sir!"

Well, if you were to admonish me with the above comment, you would be partially correct. But only partially, as I am certainly not a sir. But it has come to my attention that the purpose of this blog is to talk about my expreience of starting a blog, (ooh how postmodern) and the process of learning about other technologies too. So, I shall endeavour to at least make a mention of this sort of thing before trailing off on a flippant tangent....
So, this week I have learnt about RSS feeds. Now I recall hearing about these a while ago, but I never got around to setting it/them up. Turns out it's not TOO tricky, thanks to our friend good ole GoogleReader. One challenge I did encounter, however, was trying to find blogs I deemed worthy of RSS feeding. Upon attempting a search for fashion blogs, Technorati informed me: "Doh! The Technorati Monster escaped again." Hmmm, mildly amusing but much more annoying. No time for you Technorati. So I tried Google Blog Search, but was unsucessful in finding any good Australian vintage/retro fashion blogs. Ideally I would like to subscribe to one written by a Perth inhabitant, so that I have some chance of attending some cool local events/shops described therein. If anyone out there in internet land has some advice for me, I would be super grateful!
So, the feeds I ended up subscribing to were: http://www.makeupgeek.com/ and http://winifredandbance.com/. These were websites I already knew and loved though, the blog searches yeilded zilcho. I have already told y'all about the majesty of Winnie B, so I will tell you about makeupgeek.com. It is a super-fun makeup tutorial website that I stumbled upon some months ago. If you can get past the tutor's annoying sing-song voice, you will learn some excellent techniques. Always wanted to do the smoky eyes thing but been daunted by all that shadow? Got a 60s fancy dress party to go to but don't know how to do that Twiggy style makeup? Then makeupgeek.com will show you the way!
Well all this talk of feeds is making me yearn for my sandwich, so off to lunch I go! :)

5 comments:

  1. You might have better luck just trying a basic google search and adding the word blog to it. I got a few hits that way:
    http://circavintageclothing.com.au/
    http://rainbowretro.blogspot.com/
    http://www.bowerbirdvintage.blogspot.com/
    http://www.debutanteclothing.com/

    Another good way to find blogs is to check the links page/list of blogs and websites you already like. Chance are they'll link to other people who have the same interests. It actually looks like there are several on the http://winifredandbance.com/links/ that you might be interested in. You can also try looking to see who's commenting on the posts of blogs you like, and what their blogs are like.

    You might also try looking for blogs dedicated to specific time periods or fashion trends (http://eightiesblog.com/).

    Of course, the posibility exists that the blog you're looking for doesn't yet exist - in which case you may just have to make it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    Hope you are enjoying the week. Like your blog you must be having a great time with your 23 things havnt had a chance to see this weeks task :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you 23things and thank you Eden! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paisleyred,

    I had a look at your delicious page and saw that you had Deville's Pad as one of your bookmarks. I salute you and your taste.
    I went there last year and had a blast and have been meaning to go back soon.
    But first, some Lindy Hop dance moves are called for I think, so I can join in on the dance floor. Got some Swing Zing sessions lined up for next week.
    Do you go to Deville's often?
    What about the Hula Bar? Been meaning to get out to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello arotulon! :) Thank you for your comment, how exciting!!!
    I have been to Devilles three times only. First when it was quite new for a friend's birthday dinner. Bad move. I think it was a bit ambitious to have such an extensive food menu in a themed cocktail bar. They stuffed up the order numerous times, the food took ages and then they tried to kick us out of the table we booked coz someone else had booked it for later! My other beef was that amongst all those gloroius coctails there wasn't one mocktail! (I wasn't drinking that night.) But they did make me some random drink on request. I loved the tunes and the cool venue iteslf though, so resolved to go again.
    The next time I went was for another friend's birthday. It was disco night. Cheesy and corny like nachos. My friend Jeff loved it though, we couldn't drag him off the dance floor. When we finally made our way towards the exit they played the Cure's "Love Cats" so we had to have a last minute groove!
    The third time was only a month or two ago. The hellish surrounds were as visually awesome as ever, but it was quite empty so after an hour or so we went to Amplifier instead.
    The Hula Bula Bar is super-fab too, but tiny comparatively. I havent been there for a couple of years but it used to get real packed. Love the tiki theme though, and the cocktails are rather potent so watch out!!! :)

    ReplyDelete